Recovery Help ...

divya at avnika.com divya at avnika.com
Wed Aug 6 12:28:58 UTC 2003

Well,

In news.err, I get lots of these:

Aug  5 21:07:37 avnika makehistory[6001]: tradindexed: packgroup cant
write to /
export/usr1/news/overview/g/g/h/gnu.gcc.help-NEW.IDX: No such file or
directory
Aug  5 21:07:37 avnika makehistory[6001]: tradindexed: packgroup cant
write to /
export/usr1/news/overview/g/g/h/gnu.gcc.help-NEW.IDX: Bad address
Aug  5 21:07:37 avnika makehistory[6001]: tradindexed: packgroup cant
write to /
export/usr1/news/overview/g/g/h/gnu.gcc.help-NEW.IDX: Success

But these were likely created by news.daily judging by the time
stamps. BTW: avnika is the name of the host (its actually
avnika.corp.mot.com) but I am subscribed to this list through my
personal address (divya at avnika.com).

Meanwhile, over in /export/usr1/news/overview/g/g/h

-rw-rw----    1 news     news      1155708 Aug  6 03:01 gnu.gcc.help.DAT
-rw-rw----    1 news     news       208656 Aug  6 03:01 gnu.gcc.help.IDX

I am re-running the command to see what this might tell me.
Syslog doesn't report anything at all - no messages in /var/log/news
during the running of this command so far. ...  I will try this again
later today using buffindex to see if that works any better - perhaps
that will provide us with a better clue.

Regards

Divya