Articles stuck in /var/spool/news/incoming

Nigel Telles ntelles at metrohm.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 11:54:40 UTC 2003

Nigel Telles <ntelles at metrohm.co.uk> writes:

> That's the good bit. The Bad bit is these 5 Items Have disappeared
> altogether no trace under articles, no update info in overview. And no

> errors in the Log ( I made a copy of all the Log files for news )

At this point, they're likely either too old to be accepted by the
server or duplicates of articles that you already have, but a record of
what happened to them will be in ~news/log/news by message ID.

Nigel:

I did make a Complete backup copy of the News Server the Day after the
Power Failure which I transferred to another
Linux box. So I could try several scenarios without affecting my Live
news server anymore than the Power cut had caused.

Going through all the information I have been supplied by the good
people in this group. I did find that the
Five articles that were stuck in /var/spool/news/incoming when rnews -U
was run in the syslog it mentioned
5 Articles were offered and 5 were refused.

My question is before I changed the Permissions on the rnews command
(uucp:news) and it was run as part of the Cron
And the error was permission denied would the Message IDS have been
recorded in the History, so when
I did change the rnews permissions to news:news as suggested and rerun
rnews -U I would have got the message
5 Articles were offered and 5 were refused ( Because history already new
about them) .

If this is the case could I delete the overview databases run
makehistory -O -x -F then try running rnews -U on the
Articles that I could put back in /var/spool/news/incomings to finally
get these missing articles into there appropriate
Newsgroups.

I Think investing in a UPS might be a better idea.

But in the mean time, has anyone got any advice in a power failure
situation as to a set of steps that could be taken
To test the integrity of your News Server, before finding out the Hard
Way.

Thanks again to all those who have already helped.

Nigel.