Landing configuration rewrite

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 26 02:32:17 UTC 2003

I've just finished a rewrite of the configuration of INN to use Autoconf
2.57 and modern techniques, including using stock macros for things that
Autoconf can now handle internally rather than using our own macros.  This
also has a wide variety of other benefits, including standardization of
makefile and substitution variables and some other cleanups.

I'm going to be committing this in a little bit.  Since it's a substantial
rewrite of configure, I'm guessing there will be some instability after I
land this.  Please let me know if you see any problems and I'll try to get
them fixed right away.  I've tested somewhat, but it's hard to thoroughly
test the configure script itself (most of the errors are likely to just be
simple syntax errors, since I tried pretty hard to keep the actual
functionality the same, although some of the defines have changed names).