I would really like to see expire gone

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Feb 2 14:09:06 UTC 2003

In article <72ptqd8wkc.fsf at demon.net>, Alex Kiernan  <alexk at demon.net> wrote:

| OK, I found a bigger box to try on (dual 1GHz UltraSparc III w/ 8GB of
| RAM)

That's a bigger box indeed, and perhaps a bigger box than many people
have for news. However, if this code actually turns into something which
might be reasonable to try on more modest machines, I'd love to see how
it goes on an x86 box with 2 or 4GB RAM.

| I can insert all 46M articles in the history in 20 minutes (with a
| 3.95GB cache), unfortunately thats about as far as you could take it
| entirely in core as Berkeley DB 4.1.25 is limited to a max of 4GB of
| cache AFAICT (even if you build it 64 bit).

That still sounds as if it would be practical in terms of keeping up
with current loads.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc