Moving CNFS buffers to raw-devices

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Feb 3 09:30:37 UTC 2003

Przemys=B3aw Maciuszko <sal at agora.pl> writes:

> Hello.
> I'm thinking about moving my CNFS buffers to raw devices (Solaris 9).
> Right now I'm using buffers on top of VxFS and VxVM.
> I wonder did anyone moved buffers from filesystem layer to raw devices and
> if there was any performance gain?
>=20

We tried it on our transit and it was significantly worse (Solaris
8). My suspicion is this was because you lose all buffering and hence
the innfeed processes generate masses of IO rather than just pulling
the data from the page cache.

One of the things I'd really like to add to INN is buffering in shared
memory of storage API objects so that running shared block level
devices becomes an option.

--=20
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc