innfeed bloats and explode

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Mon Feb 3 17:33:34 UTC 2003

In article <20030203161333.GA4133 at wonderland.linux.it>,
Marco d'Itri  <md at Linux.IT> wrote:
>From time to time I have to restart innfeed because it becomes HUGE:
>
>F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
>4     9 18936 18901  12   4 1339976 30604 -   RN   ?         16:38 innfeed
>
>In this case it had been running only for a few hours.
>It happened with -STABLE too.
>That box has plenty of RAM and swap, and innfeed was the only big
>process.

You can try to tune down max-queue-size in innfeed.conf. I have
it set to 5. Otherwise innfeed will keep a lot of articles
in-memory, which if they are binaries will blow it up quickly.
(Which reminds me, this machine has gotten more memory, might
want to tune it up again)

Setting use-mmap to true might help as well if your articles
are stored in wire-format.

>(The token refers to a 1 MB binary article.)

I see.

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)