innfeed bloats and explode

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Tue Feb 4 09:09:51 UTC 2003

"Marco d'Itri" <md at Linux.IT> writes:

> On Feb 03, Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl> wrote:
>
>  >You can try to tune down max-queue-size in innfeed.conf. I have
>  >it set to 5. Otherwise innfeed will keep a lot of articles
>  >in-memory, which if they are binaries will blow it up quickly.
> It's 25 and peers*25*1MB does not account for 1.3 GB.

I /think/ from a quick read of the source max-queue-size is
per-connection, so you have peers * max-queue-size * max-connections *
max-article-size

> No peer had a backlog and anyway when this happens innfeeds does not
> shrink again as I would expect, so I think it's a leak.

Just when you're starting is probably when its worst - page in a whole
pile of articles, issue CHECKs, get them all refused as everyone
already has them.

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc