I would really like to see expire gone

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Feb 4 14:57:18 UTC 2003

In article <72fzr5g2i3.fsf at demon.net>, Alex Kiernan  <alexk at demon.net> wrote:

| Btree, but I tried hash too - the reason I actually tried real tests
| with btree is it seems to be quicker and to have a lower memory
| footprint. If I were really going to use this code I'd have enough RAM
| to keep the whole thing in core.

Well, I think what you are doing is very useful. Given that news keeps
growing and that people will want to keep small articles for a long
time, I would not expect every site, or even most sites, to keep
everything in memory all the time. Performance on ramdisk or with
everything in memory by buffering is useful for majot sites, but a
performance point for smaller common sizes is useful as well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
  A hero is not someone who only does the brave thing when challenge is