controlchan doesn't work :-(

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 10 18:49:57 UTC 2003

Pavel V Knyazev <pasha at surnet.ru> writes:

>> That's because INN has to close down all of its feeds and then restart
>> them all each time it has to create a new newsgroup.  That's a far more
>> fundamental problem, and controlchan won't help with it.

> Well, then what controlchan is designed for?

To keep the processing and parsing of control messages from swamping the
server, such as when people post tens of thousands of forged control
messages for the Big Eight.  The old control message processing system
would try to do all of those basically at once and run the system out of
processes.

It doesn't help as much if you actually want to *act* on a large number of
control messages, since newsgroup creation is still an extremely
heavy-weight process in INN.