problems with database after crash

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Thu Feb 13 16:19:47 UTC 2003

Hello all,

We had a power outage last night. When I came in this morning, I noticed
that our local newsgroups (e.g. usno.aa.questions) lost articles posted
yesterday before the outage. This is the error I get when trying to use
a newsgroup client to see the messages:

Error!
newsgroup server responded:Bad article number

Perhaps the article has expired

<3E4A7B3B.1070808 at aa.usno.navy.mil> (1040)

Click here to remove all expired articles

I don't believe this is an expiration problem, as older messages are
still there. When I look at the
/var/spool/news/overview/u/a/q/usno.aa.questions.DAT file, the problem
posts are not listed there. They are, however, in the
/var/spool/news/articles/usno/aa/questions directory. The
/var/lib/news/active file upper bound article number does not go high
enough to cover the 'Bad article number' posts. If I change it to cover
them, it doesn't solve the problem.

Could someone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Bill Tangren