overchan problem

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Wed Feb 19 16:06:09 UTC 2003

In article <20030219093042.GK13604 at virgin.gazeta.pl>,
	Przemys=B3aw Maciuszko <sal at agora.pl> wrote;

} I'd like to what must happen to overview info being written to
} ~/spool/outgoing/overview!, instead of overview buffers?
} I've got ~160k overview records in this file (last two weeks) and I w=
onder
} how did they got there?
} I couldn't find any info in list's archive or man pages :(

That file mainly means overview method in your environment cannot
keep up with incoming feed.  The file includes overview data which
should be processed by overchan.  That data is handed by innd thru
stdout, but overchan is too busy in storing overview data that it
cannot read stdin.  The data is left as that file when active is
reloaded by processing cmsg.  You should not have that file if
useoverchan in inn.conf set to false(you don't have to run overchan
in the case).  But there still remains fundamental problem that innd
cannot keep up with incoming feed with your environment.  You may
have to consider switching to another overview method or better
hardware environment.
-- =

Katsuhiro Kondou