libc, perl, python and nnrpd don't mix well

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 9 23:46:11 UTC 2003

bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

>   That's almost certainly NOT what you want! If that's what -pthread
> does it's odd, it shouldn't link libc_r *instead*, just libc_r *first*,
> as would happen with -lc_r in Linux (and I bet BSD).

>   I don't have a BSD system up right now, so that's not something I can
> check, but unless libc_r has all the same routines as libc, I wouldn't
> be surprised to see that things are missing in the link.

gcc knows how to link threaded applications on all the platforms on which
it supports threading, and if you just give it -pthread, it figures it
out.  Sometimes this involves linking with libc_r instead, sometimes it
means linking with libc_r first, sometimes it doesn't change what C
library it uses at all.  But the point is more that listing -lc on the
link line is almost certain to mess something up, since gcc is smarter
than Python's configuration scripts.