CNFS offset problems

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Jan 20 19:33:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Bettina Fink <laura at hydrophil.de> writes:
> > Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> wrote on December 29th:
>
> >> Dec 28 18:51:56 puck innd: CNFS-sm: CNFSUsedBlock: invalid offset 9c4200,
> >> min = 4000, max = 9c4000
>
> > The same happened to one of my test boxes
>
> Yeah, I just had it happen to my test system too.  It's like it sometimes
> loses track of where the end of the cycbuff is.  I have four disk files
> used as cycbuffs, each 1GB in length, and during the second cycle on the
> fourth one it just kept writing to it until it reached 2GB and died.

Huh, you're right, I hadn't even noticed that one of my cycbuffs was
growing!

> Are either of you using SEQUENTIAL?  And are you using disk files or block
> devices?

I'm using SEQUENTIAL on some, but not on the one that appears to be
responsible.  They're all disk files, and the control.* one seems to have
grown (though not to 2 GB -- of course, the filesystem isn't large enough
for that):

/usr/local/news # grep '^[^#]' etc/cycbuff.conf
cycbuff:CONTRL1:/usr/local/news/spool/cnfs/control1:10000
cycbuff:GENERL1:/usr/local/news/spool/cnfs/general1:1500000
cycbuff:GENERL2:/usr/local/news/spool/cnfs/general2:1500000
metacycbuff:CONTROL:CONTRL1
metacycbuff:GENERAL:GENERL1,GENERL2:SEQUENTIAL

/usr/local/news # du -k spool/cnfs/*
56840   spool/cnfs/control1
1500000 spool/cnfs/general1
1500000 spool/cnfs/general2

/usr/local/news # df -k spool/cnfs/
/dev/puckvg/cnfs       3145628   3092740     52888  99% /usr/local/news/spool/cnfs

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org