Overview Buffers just keep on growing...

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Wed Jan 22 16:57:07 UTC 2003

In article <9A12BAF6-2E1E-11D7-927E-00039358110E at isc.upenn.edu>,
	Donald Roeber <droeber at isc.upenn.edu> wrote;

} Yes, I'm passing 'expireover' to news.daily.  However, there may be a
} problem with it... This is from the tail end of my news.daily report:
:
} buffindexed.c:1601 Can't malloc 233234432 bytes: Not enough spacePost
} expiration status:
:
} Perhaps the buffindexed.c error is causing a problem with the
} expiration?  I'm not really sure how to test this.

The most probable situation can be that the server has about
1 million articles spooled in control.cancel.

buffindexed tries to allocate memory for overview data when
expiry.  And as to 2.3.*, allocation size is equals to total
amount of overview data in the group.  As to 2.4, this can
be avoided, and the maximum allocation size for overview
retrieving is limited to keepmmappedthreshold in inn.conf.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou