Best way to *really* delete a newsgroup?

Christopher P. Lindsey isc.org at spamfodder.com
Sat Jan 25 18:04:28 UTC 2003

Hi guys,

   I have several local newsgroups that I want to delete off of the server
   entirely (that means history and overview entries and the actual
   article itself).  My expire times are set to never, so running
   'ctlinnd rmgroup' will only remove the newsgroup from the active file,
   but the history/overview/article are still hanging around.

   What's the best way to do this?

   It seems to me that I'd need to:

      1.  traverse the spool and find articles that have a Newsgroups:
          header only listing the cancelled newsgroup; extract the

          (do I need to remove the reference to the now-deleted newsgroup
           from the Newsgroups: header if it was cross-posted to
           multiple groups?)

      2.  Remove the corresponding hash from the history file
      3.  Rebuild the dbz database

   Or is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris