Weirdness with duplicate message-id and hash calculations

Christopher P. Lindsey isc.org at spamfodder.com
Sun Jan 26 05:24:16 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

   I'm struggling with an issue involving supposedly duplicate Message-IDs
   in messages going into the server.

   I'm trying to feed a message in with a header like this:

   inews comes back and says that this is a duplicate.  Sure enough,
   grephistory says that too:

      bash$ bin/grephistory  -l '5BD18FBC01F1D211990600A0C9F495DC04FF9843 at ecs-ms1.ecsu.ctstateu.edu'
      [1F95BCB4187B2AFD14A5CA732EBC5ECB]      1039977459~-~1039977458 @02003DFCCBF300F300000000000000000000@

   But if I tell grephistory to just generate a hash, it doesn't match
   that record at all:

      bash$ bin/grephistory  -h '5BD18FBC01F1D211990600A0C9F495DC04FF9843 at ecs-ms1.ecsu.ctstateu.edu'
      [7411B9D7A2122BBAAE31E5A917D5F4D2]

   And checking the articles themselves doesn't reveal any messages with
   that Message-ID:

      bash$ cd /var/news/spool/articles
      bash$ grep --recursive '5BD18FBC01F1D211990600A0C9F495DC04FF9843 at ecs-ms1.ecsu.ctstateu.edu' .
      bash$ echo $?
      1

   Now here's the really weird part.  I have a quick little perl script
   that translates the token into a path for ovdb.  I'll feed it the
   token returned by my original grephistory:

      bash$ /usr/local/scripts/hashtofilename  @02003DFCCBF300F300000000000000000000@
      /var/spool/news/articles/time-00/fc/cb/00f3-3df3

   Now let's get the Message-ID out of that message:

      bash$ grep Message-ID: `/mnt/scratch/hashtofilename  @02003DFCCBF300F300000000000000000000@`

   Prepare for the freakiness...  If I do a grephistory on that message-id,
   it supposedly doesn't exist.  But if I tell it to give me a hash, it
   gives me the one that was returned for that other Message-ID: when
   I ran grephistory -l!

      bash$ bin/grephistory 'NGBBLKJNELBFHOMCKPMIAELGCJAA.tchessie at yahoo.com'
      /dev/null
      bash$ bin/grephistory -h 'NGBBLKJNELBFHOMCKPMIAELGCJAA.tchessie at yahoo.com'
      [1F95BCB4187B2AFD14A5CA732EBC5ECB]

   So for some reason queries to the history database are getting the wrong
   results, and I'm not sure why.

   I don't know if this problem was there before or not, but I noticed
   it after running 'makehistory -b -F -O -I' with a throttled server.
   I'm running inn 2.3.4, using ovdb for my overview datbase.  The
   server is running RedHat 6.2 with BerkeleyDB 3.2.9a.

   Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris