nnrpd res/auth oddity

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:57:02 UTC 2003

Hi

Why is it that nnrpd passes the client PORT number
to external resolvers (res:) and authenticators (auth:)
 ... a good thing IMHO ...    (info from doc/external-auth)

but the various perl/python/tcl varients are NOT passed the port
(at least according to the various doc/hook-*  documents)
 ... a bad thing IMHO ...

The issue is, that on multiuser readers you *need* the client port
to figure out who is talking to you.  Here at Cornell this has been
a buggaboo we have been avoiding dealing with for years and MacOSX
has forced us to deal with it.  It appears that mostly it is our
servers that call out to Sidecar that we have to fix up, because
Sidecar itself does support the port information in the original design.

QUESTION:
Assuming the docs are correct, would it be possible to tweak the
hook-* implementations so that they include the client port as well as
the IP address ..... that would make it much easier for Cornell to
migrate to 2.4

Thanks!

Regards,
Todd Olson