access: in readers.conf

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Jan 5 20:37:04 UTC 2003

I was fiddling on nnrpd/perm.c to make "post: !*" result in a 201 banner
being displayed instead of 200, and observed from the code the following
interesting behavior:

   If access: is *before* newsgroups:/read:/post: lines, the presence
   of R and P in the access string is ignored.

I don't think it's an entirely trivial fix, and thinking about it I had
another idea entirely...

Why don't we remove access: in INN 2.4?  The R and P functionality is
already available with read:/post:, and it should be quite trivial to
provide all the other parts of access: with individual boolean flags.

We could make this seamless to the user by having innupgrade modify
readers.conf (although the presence of multiple readers.conf files needs
to be considered).

Thoughts?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur