[INN-COMMITTERS] inn (TODO)

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Jan 6 09:47:25 UTC 2003

"Marco d'Itri" <md at Linux.IT> writes:

> On Dec 28, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>  >Modifying innfeed to generate a header-only feed is pretty trivial; the
>  >only hard part is puzzling out where in innfeed to do it.  I think people
>  >have even posted patches before.
> I don't think so. Alex Kiernan once announced he was working on it but
> never posted a innfeed patch.

We abandoned it once we figured out that it would suffer from the same
problems as xrefslave with respect to arrival time stamp mangling
(NEWNEWS is *very* important to us).

>  >What's the main obstacle to using nnrpd for reading?  The need to
>  >replicate the spool to each of the reader hosts?
> Yes. I have been burned by using NFS once and I will not repeat this
> error soon.
> INN will not be suitable for large server clusters until it will be able
> to populate the history+overview from a headers feed and get the articles
> on demand with a NNTP pseudo-spool method.

The idea I'm currently toying with is to use Spread
(http://www.spread.org/) to manage memory coherency across the reader
cluster.

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc