Status of 2.4 release

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Jan 6 09:53:21 UTC 2003

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > aim for kicking out INN 2.4 within a few weeks.
>
> Sounds good by me.  Is anybody testing the SSL code?  I don't think any of
> my users are actually connecting via SSL anymore, so while I'm running
> with the support compiled in, it doesn't see much use.
>
> What sort of stability will we claim to have in 2.4.0?  It seems like we
> haven't allowed all that long for things to settle down.  Or maybe there
> are more people running on the bleeding edge than I realize?

Can't speak for innd (or any of the writer portions), but current
nnrpd (w/ cnfs & tradindexed) is what we're running with no
significant problems. Its worth noting that the writer is still using
the old ov3 code!

> >  * Remove all the (void) casts on functions everywhere.
>
> Were those inserted just to make lint shut up, or because we actually
> don't care about the result?  (What I'm really asking is, does the person
> doing this need to keep an eye out for system calls with return values not
> being checked?)

If lint bitches its broken IMO - I really dislike adding casts just to
shut up broken compilers.

> >  * Make some or all of these changes now, before the INN 2.4 release,
> >    since a new major release will be a new synchronization point for
> >    patches from others, and because we're probably at a low point in terms
> >    of outstanding patches right now.
>
> I like this best.

Same here.

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc