access: in readers.conf

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Jan 6 15:41:27 UTC 2003

On 6 Jan 2003, Alex Kiernan wrote:

> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> >    If access: is *before* newsgroups:/read:/post: lines, the presence
> >    of R and P in the access string is ignored.
>
> Funny how these things come up at the same time - I noticed exactly
> that behaviour just before Christmas.

It's remarkable that nobody's ever stumbled on it, but I guess access:
just seems like it should go at the end.  (Or maybe people are actually
reading the documentation that says to avoid access:, but I doubt it.)

> > Why don't we remove access: in INN 2.4?
>
> I see Russ already had it in the TODO, in fact it was something I was
> planning on doing in the 2.5 time frame.

Russ -- thoughts on moving this up?

> > We could make this seamless to the user by having innupgrade modify
> > readers.conf (although the presence of multiple readers.conf files needs
> > to be considered).
>
> Presumably returns from perl_access would need to change too?

Mmm, good point.  But as long as we make the change on a major release,
I'd hope that people will notice it in NEWS.  I suppose we could
transitionally check for the presence of access: and error with a message
pointing to the appropriate documentation for how to fix things.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org