trouble with cleanfeed.conf

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Oct 6 19:57:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Bill Tangren wrote:

> I am having trouble with cleanfeed.conf. I have a small internal news
> server (no external feeds). On that server, I have disallowed binaries
> using this block in cleanfeed.conf:
>
>     bin_allowed => '^\w+\.binae?r|^alt\.sex\.pictures|^fur\.artwork'.
>       '|^alt\.anonymous\.messages$|^de\.alt\.dateien|^rec\.games\.bolo$'.
>       '|^comp\.security\.pgp\.test$|^sfnet\.tiedostot'.
>       '|^fido\.|^linux\.|^unidata\.'.
>       '|^usno',
>
> The last line is what I added to disallow binaries on our news groups

Wait, $bin_allowed is supposed to list the groups in which binaries are
permitted, as far as I know.  It's strange that you found that that config
was able to block binaries.  You sure about that?

(By the way, you should add '|^usno\.' to be precise about it, otherwise
groups like usnofoo.misc would match.  Not likely to be a problem, but
some day in the future...better safe than sorry.)

> does not allow binaries after restarting the server.

FYI, `ctlinnd reload filter.perl reason-string-here` will work, you don't
need a full restart.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org