inn 2.3.0 problem

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Oct 14 17:23:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 Jim_Marnell at cca-int.com wrote:

> I hate to bother but I'm at the end of my rope on this one. My netscape
> reader cannot find messages on the server that I know are there...

Is this a sudden change?  Anything that might have caused it?

> $ pwd
> /usr/local/news/spool/articles/comp/unix/solaris
> $ ls
> 1   10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
>
> These are all new messages rec'd today yet the reader claims there are no
> new messages on the server.
> I did try to fix it by getting a fresh copy of active & newsgroups and
> building the database. I also deleted all articles. I did all this while
> the server was down as news.

Ok, all the relevant pieces of information for deciding what articles
are "visible" are:

- the comp.unix.solaris line in $pathdb/active
- the entries in the appropriate overview file (.DAT for tradindexed)
- permissions in readers.conf

It's hard to help with only the symptom of Netscape not working, so if you
need more help, can you try connecting with telnet and issuing
"MODE READER" then "GROUP comp.unix.solaris" and showing us the resulting
line in addition to the above info...

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org