no buffer space available

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 16 05:47:52 UTC 2003

Andrew Clark <andrew.clark at ucsb.edu> writes:

> My FreeBSD 4.7 INN 2.4.0 news server merrily chugs along for a couple
> weeks before it decides to stop accepting NNTP connections.  The rest of
> the processes on the box seem to work fine, and the only useful log
> message I can find is this one in my nntpsend.log:

> ctlinnd: cannot send "flush" command (sendto failure): No buffer space
> available

Yeah, this just means that innd has stopped listening on the control
channel (which is a Unix domain socket and therefore has a finite kernel
buffer for holding the issued commands before it fills).  Why it stopped
listening is a good question.

The best thing to do would be to attach gdb to the innd process when it
gets into this state and then get a backtrace to see where it's hung.  You
may also be able to get some information with a system call trace utility
(I'm not sure what the strace/truss equivalent is called on FreeBSD).