AUTHINFO GENERIC

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 20 19:59:43 UTC 2003

Thanks Russ!

One more question

At 13:03 -0700 2003/10/17, Russ Allbery wrote:
>It doesn't.  All of the arguments to AUTHINFO GENERIC are given in the
>initial command and are then passed to the authenticator.  The
>authenticator must then return an nnrp.access string.

How does a 'user name' get estabilished at the server?
(For example to construct the poster identification)
By first sending an AUTHINFO USER
??

>Note that AUTHINFO GENERIC is something that we'll probably remove in
>newer versions; I wouldn't recommend using it as the basis for future
>work.  It has some severe limitations (for example, you can't do SASL via
>it because it can't have a conversation with the client).

Thanks for the notice on this issue.
Even so, though the future is very desirable, the present is what I
have to deal with, so I may have to cobble together a stop gap
based on authinfo generic

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University