readers.conf and authentication question

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Oct 21 10:15:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 g.lams at itcilo.it wrote:

> I would like to know what could be the better way of managing those users
> and their passwords (I don't want to use the system shadow password file).

You can store the passwords in any way you like, just configure
readers.conf appropriately.  For example, you can keep them in a flat file
(in format similar to /etc/passwd, which Apache's htpasswd will generate
for you) and use `ckpasswd -f` in readers.conf.  Or if you have a lot of
users, you can use read the ckpasswd about the format of the -d files.

Or you can write a simple script of any kind (using the general interface
documented in doc/external-auth, or the scripting interfaces documented in
doc/hook-*).

In other words, INN isn't going to drive this decision.  It should depend
on what works for your other needs.

> Also, as those usernames and passwords need to be managed not by myself,
> but by 2 "teachers", I wonder whether someone has implementated a
> web-based management system, even a basic one.

Well sure, it's not overly complicated.  (Nothing I can share with
you for this, though.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org