lock between nnrpd and expireover

mark.heather at btinternet.com mark.heather at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 1 12:27:27 UTC 2003

(First posting to inn-workers at isc.org)
I cant see this covered in previous postings so will raise as a new query...

I have recently migrated from an older version of inn to inn2.4 on seperate servers (Solaris 2.6). Using cnfs for storage and tradindexed for overview method.

All works fine with no reported feed or client problems.

However, the following error fills up my news.daily report each night :

expireover: tradindexed: cannot lock group entry at 65544: Resource temporarily unavailable
expireover: tradindexed: cannot unlock group entry at 65544: Resource temporarily unavailable
expireover: tradindexed: cannot lock group entry at 65616: Resource temporarily unavailable
expireover: tradindexed: cannot unlock group entry at 65616: Resource temporarily unavailable
expireover: tradindexed: cannot lock group entry at 65688: Resource temporarily unavailable
and so on for several megabytes.

Truss'ing the expireover process, the process is trying to get a lock on the file ./news/spool/overview/groups.index but all the nnrpd processes also have a lock on this file. This causes the lock acquisition fail and the error message generated.

I can't see what would cause it to fail. It might be that there are some compile time options that are the root cause, but at the minute I can't explain it.

Perhaps I need to throttle INN first and then expireover. It could be that INN is holding a exclusive lock whilst the nnrpd's are only holding minor locks.

Many thanks

Mark Heather