[INN-COMMITTERS] STABLE-2_4 inn (configure configure.in)

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Tue Sep 2 14:05:29 UTC 2003

> To:            inn-committers at isc.org
> From:          Russ Allbery <Russ_Allbery at isc.org>
> Subject:       [INN-COMMITTERS] STABLE-2_4 inn (configure configure.in)

> Simplify the check for sendmail considerably.  Just look for it on PATH
> or in /usr/sbin or /usr/lib if not found there, without requiring people
> to use --with-sendmail if it's in a standard location.  That's the way that
> pretty much every other package does it.

I think this change is a very bad idea.  There is a long thread of
discussion that resulted in the configure rules in INN being what they are.

The summary of that discussion is "Better safe than sorry."

Sendmail is too bug-prone to trust an accidentally found version that
someone might not even know was installed.