Finding sendmail during configure (was: [INN-COMMITTERS] ...)

Erik Klavon erik at eriq.org
Thu Sep 4 17:39:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:09:59AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> But I'd love to hear other opinions....

I can see Forrest's point. I don't think his concern is unwarranted,
but I don't think it should be applied at this scope on this
issue. Decisions about what mta to use (and what mta to trust) are
best made at the local level. If an administrator doesn't trust
sendmail on their system, they won't install sendmail on their
system.

Most people use sendmail and feel that, when properly configured, it
in general poses no greater threat then other programs with similar
privileges. So I think there is no harm in looking in the same places
for sendmail as everyone else does, and using it if found. This
behavior should be documented in INSTALL in an obvious place, of
course.

People who know enough to be concerned about sendmail in the first
place will read INSTALL, see the caveat, and do the right thing
depending on their local config.

Note that despite my views stated above, I wouldn't object to keeping
things the way they are now.

Erik

--
erik         | "It is idle to think that, by means of words, | Maurice
  kl at von     | any real communication can ever pass | Maeterlinck