2.4.1 install stuck --- any help/ ideas ...

Wilson, Sue LCC Sue.Wilson at lcc01.usace.army.mil
Fri Apr 9 16:53:13 UTC 2004

Have installed the software, move news from old news server, run makehistory
etc...
Can read news but...
I have been working with
Joe St Sauver at the University of Oregon trying to get my new
2.4.1 server working .. and he says it beats him at this point

I got it installed and then have ported the groups and info from my 2.1
system.

I can read messages but every time I try to post it innd dies and there is a
core dump file in the /usr/local/news/spool/articles directory

If I start it with the start up script and let,  it will run for an hour or 2
and then die
often with this message

Mar 27 00:10:23 nntp rnews: [ID 801587 news.error] cant fgets after article:
Invalid argument
Mar 27 00:10:23 nntp rnews: [ID 702911 news.error] cant unspool saving to
/usr/local/news/spool/incoming/bad/zka4Hd

which seems to come from trying to post my test post which sits incomming
into the appropriate news groups.

Mar 27 00:10:22 nntp innd: [ID 840099 news.warning] localhost connected 17
Mar 27 00:10:23 nntp rnews: [ID 801587 news.error] cant fgets after article:
Invalid argument
Mar 27 00:10:23 nntp rnews: [ID 702911 news.error] cant unspool saving to
/usr/local/news/spool/incoming/bad/zka4Hd

other than that we have not found any clues to the problem so any help or
getting ont list to get help would be greatly appreciated.

Sue Wilson
CEEIS EMAIL
Portland, OR
503 808 4965