2.4.1 install --- at wits end ...

Wilson, Sue LCC Sue.Wilson at lcc01.usace.army.mil
Wed Apr 21 22:58:27 UTC 2004

I rebuilt the server ..
got a fresh tar file of our news from the old current news server and a =
good
active file

I ran makehistory/makedbz again as below and got the overview and empty
history file

started news again=20
I could see the names of our usace.* groups  (i.e. usace.email etc) but =
not
the contents.
I could post to these news groups and read the new postings only

paused the system with ctlinnd pause
removed every usace.*   group with ctlinnd rmgroup usace.___ commands
readded all these groups with ctlinnd newgroup usace.____ y

unpaused the system=20

this produced no real change
created some new usace.test groups was able to post and read to them, =
only
them

paused the system again=20

removed every thing from  the overview database=20
ran the full makehistory/makedbz process again ...
this time history.n and history had data in them

makehistory -b -f history.n -O -l -I

awk 'NF =3D=3D 2 { print }' < history >> history.n

makedbz -s `wc -l < history` -f history.n
nenamed history.n* files

unpaused news=20

Now I can read all the news in the usace.* groups
=20
I can read and post to the newly created groups=20

I cannot  post to old usace.* groups=20
 when I try there is no error,  the posting  just does not happen=20

also tried stop and restarting news but it still works the same so still
can't post to the old active groups.

Sue Wilson
CEEIS EMAIL
Portland, OR