Best storage method for reader box

Joe St Sauver JOE at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Apr 27 15:00:22 UTC 2004

#> My own experience so far is that tradindexed offers good performance
#> for readers (fast XOVER and NEWNEWS) but can take ages to expire.
#
#> Timecaf gives a relatively quick expire but XOVER is horrendous on a
#> group with a few thousand unread articles.
#
#> How are timehash and CNFS in this respect?

CNFS, as a self-expiring storage mechanism, is great for a reader box
when you have sufficient disk, or a limited active file to avoid premature
over-writing, or a tolerance for varied retention.

We use it with tradindexed overviews on one of our reader boxes, and it
works fine, *IF* we pass expireover -N -z /dev/null

If we just invoke expireover w/o any arguments, we see accretion of
overview data until the partition fills (this is with groupbaseexpiry: true)

Regards,

Joe