DTrace in Solaris 10 as an analysis/debugging tool for INN

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:24:48 UTC 2004

Hi

DTrace (in Solaris 10) is a truely marvelous analysis/debugging tool.

No special preparations are needed to examine a program to use DTrace.

The documentation is great!
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-6223
The into section explains it all much more clearly than I can

It took me about 4 hours from starting with the intro to having a clear
understanding of an apparent network performance problem of a highly
multithreaded program for which I did not have the source.  A problem
that I had not been able to make much headway on with truss in the course
of several weeks of work.

This is sun's starting point
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/

The dtrace engineers blogs have been very useful as well.
   http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc     (see Aug 2004 and earlier)
   http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/ahl?catname=DTrace

I suspect DTrace will be very useful in INN development.

Regards,
Todd Olson