Requesting INN performance data

Anne Wilson anne at unidata.ucar.edu
Mon Dec 20 17:45:03 UTC 2004

Kristofer Pettijohn wrote:
> I've got a server running INN that I'm using as a transit server
> ONLY. It does not store overviews, or anything fun like that - just
> a relay host.
>
> It takes in a full 1.3TB of traffic daily (averages 700-1000 articles
> per second being offered), and pushes out about 6TB of traffic
> daily.

I'd like to know the limits of INN.  This message is to solicit some
data on people's experience with how much INN can handle, particularly
high volume, relay-only sites, like Kristofer's.  I'd like to know about
the following:

What is the input volume?  Both byte and article count would be helpful.
What is the output volume?
What storage methods are being used?
Anything significant about the configuration, like running multiple
innfeeds?  Disk organization?
What OS? CPU configuration, speed? Memory size? Disk type?
Is there other software running that contributes to machine load?
Keeping an overview?
Was any limitation met, and if so, what was it and how was it dealt with?
Site identification (if you'd like it listed in the summary)

For my part, I'll summarize and post any feedback.

My max input volumes are on the order of 120GB/day, a little over
3,000,000 articles/day.  That's about 1.4MB/second and about 37
articles/second.  Max output volumes would be that times 3. Clearly,
we're no where near the top end.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Anne
anne at unidata.ucar.edu                  P.O. Box 3000
                                   Boulder, CO  80307