controlchan issues

Kurt Maxwell Weber weberk at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 25 01:01:15 UTC 2004

I'm playing around with INN 2.4.1, just to learn, and my news.(crit || err ||
notice) are filling up with messages of the sort:

Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone controlchan[22899]: starting
Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone controlchan[22899]: Cannot open
Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone innd: controlchan! exit 1 elapsed 0 pid
22899
Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone innd: controlchan!:19:proc:22899 closed
Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone innd: controlchan! spawned
controlchan!:19:proc:22901
Feb 24 19:53:28 southwindbaritone innd: controlchan! restarted

I haven't been able to find any reference to this in any documentation nor has
Google been of any help (although there are some results that are close).

usecontrolchan in inn.conf is set to true; I've done the h2ph deal mentioned
in the manpage for controlchan.  Grepping through the controlchan script,
there are several occurrences of "Cannot open", although they're all followed
by a variable that presumably tells you what exactly it cannot open--so I'm
guessing that some variable isn't assigned a value (or it's just assigned
whitespace).

Thanks!

--
Kurt Weber