innfeed support for POST?

Mark Hittinger bugs at pu.net
Fri Feb 27 04:07:16 UTC 2004

>> Mark Hittinger wrote:
>> It might make more sense to do this with innxmit if the number of posts to
>> be made is small.

> Dan writes:
>... and if it's large?

Well I guess it depends on what large means.

My thinking is that POST is pretty slow.  Its not streaming and I think
innfeed works better when everything is streaming, there are no backlogs,
the destination hosts all respond correctly, the bread falls butter side
up, etc.

If you have a patched innfeed doing a post feed it might impact the
performance of the other streaming feeds that innfeed might be doing.

Regardless of the method you choose, a small number of small text articles
would probably be fine, say on the order of 25k-50k articles per day.  If
some are binaries you'd have to cut back on the estimate.

Some other items to consider are authentication (if needed) and the handling
of NNTP-Posting-Host, Trace, and Abuse headers.

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs at pu.net