lock method used for buffindexed

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 12 01:59:07 UTC 2004

Ron Jarrell <jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu> writes:

> Not just innbind - I'm having the same problem with inndstart.  Unless
> it's two different problems with the same symptom, which is possible, I
> suppose.

> There's a fair number of patch differences between our systems, I'll
> have to work on reviewing and updating.

I'm probably significantly behind your system on patches.

I can't see any problems with inndstart, so I think you're dealing with
two unrelated issues.  With innbind, it looks like even a setuid program
can't bind a socket to a secure port if the socket was created in a
non-root process, which completely breaks innbind.

I sent a question to Andrew Gierth, who was the person who showed me that
technique.  I'm not quite sure what to do about this.