INN licensing change

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 25 19:58:46 UTC 2004

Hello folks,

As of January 1st, the Internet Software Consortium changed its name to
the Internet Systems Consortium, Inc., and adopted a new license for its
code.  I took advantage of the opportunity to discuss INN's license with
Paul Vixie and Rich Salz, and am pleased to announce that we are dropping
the advertising clause from INN's license.

Note that INN does not do copyright assignment, so license changes are
mildly murky.  To be completely legally rigorous, we would need to ask
every contributor whether they were willing to relicense their changes.
However, since the advertising clause only named ISC, and since all I ever
ask contributors is whether they're willing to have their code distributed
as part of INN, I feel fairly confident and comfortable with making this
sort of unilateral change.  That being said, if anyone anticipates any
problems with this sort of change, please let me know.

Just for the record, I am relicensing all changes I personally have ever
made to INN under the new license.

The new copyright and license for INN is:

   Copyright (c) 2004 by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
   Copyright (c) 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001,
       2002, 2003 by The Internet Software Consortium and Rich Salz

   This code is derived from software contributed to the Internet Software
   Consortium by Rich Salz.

   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
   purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
   copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ISC DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH
   REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS.  IN NO EVENT SHALL ISC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
   SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
   WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
   ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
   OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

(Note that this license phrasing is standard across ISC products, but
according to the University of Washington permits the idiotic twisting of
the English language that prevents Debian from distributing Pine.  I
personally think one has to strain the English language beyond belief to
read the above license as only permitting distribution of unmodified
copies, and that is certainly not the intention, but if anyone thinks that
will be a problem I'll take it up with Paul.)