Illegal seek (reprise)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 26 22:42:28 UTC 2004

Aioe <tecniche at aioe.org> writes:

> if i use empty perl scripts, inn crashes in the same way.  If i disable
> perl script (ctlinnd perl n), after a short painfull life, inn crashes
> again but in a different manner:

If you have Python support compiled in, you may want to try the patch I
posted separately just a few minutes ago.  There was definitely a memory
clobber in the Python filtering code that may be triggering even if you're
not planning on using a Python filter.

> [Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 27209)]
> 0x402f221f in malloc () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x402f221f in malloc () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x402f2074 in malloc () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #2  0x08090e23 in x_malloc (size=19, file=0x809a3f1 "interface.c", line=648) at xmalloc.c:74

Yes, this is the same problem as your other problem.  You have malloc
arena corruption.  We have to figure out what's causing it; the best way
to do that is to run INN under a memory checker and try to find memory
clobbers and illegal writes.

> if i compile inn without perl support, innd accepts all messages without
> troubles.

This would seem to imply that there's some problem inside Perl or in the
INN interface to Perl, although that's not guaranteed.

> I'm searching in my spool for the exact cunbatch file who makes crashes.

That would be helpful, thanks.

> When INN works wrong, _every_ article i feed inside make a crash like
> this.  When INN works well, it accepts all articles as usual. The only
> way to recover INN is a complete reinstallation.

Well, a complete reinstallation isn't going to solve this problem, so you
must be changing something else during the reinstallation (like removing
your incoming spool) to make the problem go away.  Either that, or it's
just chance.