better buffindexed configuration possible?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 11 00:26:16 UTC 2004

I can't really help with the buffindexed questions -- don't know very much
about how it works -- but I might be able to answer the other ones.

Anne Wilson <anne at unidata.ucar.edu> writes:

> Jul  7 17:25:44 imogene innd: SERVER cant store overview for
> @03014255464631000000000A3B9600005D61@
> Jul  7 17:25:44 imogene innd: SERVER cant write history
> <db41da162506b7b17cd35faf4172840c> Success

[...]

> Would changing overview.fmt help?  Right now it has the default
> configuration, but I don't really need to save all those header fields.

I'm not sure things will work right without the default overview.fmt, and
future versions of INN will probably not support it.  The first seven
fields were not really meant to be configurable, and reader clients will
break unless they contain exactly the expected information.  (I know that
may not be an issue for your particular application, though.)

> Also, I'm puzzled by the "SERVER cant write history... Success" message
> - which was it Mr. Dickens???  Assuming it was indeed a failure, why
> would the problem in overview lead to a problem writing the history
> file?

Was this by any chance the last error message in a long string of
complaining, ending up with the server throttled?  It looks like you'll
get that error message, including the success message, if the server
throttles due to some other problem right before it tries to write the
history entry.