innd stops responding

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 13:50:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:42:48 -0700, Gary Thandi <gary.thandi at 360.net> wrote:

> yes.  i've had to resort to stopping and starting all news processes every
> 60 minutes.

Try getting a snapshot - I know Heath's made some fixes to the ovdb
code, but I've not tried those.

Certainly the behaviour you're seeing is typical for ovdb on Solaris;
I'm not sure if anyone's addressed the way nnrpd does termination yet,
but last time I looked it seemed like if you took a signal at the
wrong moment, nnrpd would try and make calls into ovdb (and hence
BerkeleyDB) in a re-entrant fashion, which isn't supported (not
unreasonably) by BerkeleyDB.

--
Alex Kiernan