Filtering junk on inn-bugs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 28 02:49:36 UTC 2004

Forrest J Cavalier <mibsoft at epix.net> writes:

> I think the inn-bugs@ is an important list to monitor.

> Upon inspecting the junk received that way, my first attempt at
> filtering is rejecting messages also To or CC to a -request at isc.org
> address.  (This rejects about 50% of the junk recently sent there, and
> will NEVER have a false-positive.)

> I'd also like to reject all HTML email there, since that is highly
> unlikely to have a false positive.  But Ecartis apparently tries to be
> "helpful" and creates a text version of HTML email.  Is anyone
> considering turning that off, or returning HTML email as undeliverable?
> Can E-cartis add a X-Original-Content-type: or something?

> Anyone else have suggestions for filtering junk from email sent to open
> list addresses when reducing false positives is crucial?  inn-bugs@ is
> not the only open list I subscribe to.

I use bogofilter to do all of my spam filtering, and it does a relatively
good job on inn-bugs.  I usually get one or two spam messages a day from
it, generally messages that are sent only to it and contain only base64
data (which are a particularly hard case for a pure Bayesian filter to
deal with).