Duplicate message-id in history text

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jul 29 14:26:42 UTC 2004

Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> Persistent problem since a month ago when I messed up everything:
>
> Rebuilding history, I get a zillion errors on makedbz in the style of
>    Duplicate message-id "[1E1452C63E118829D12541DD6A337C9F]" in history text
> and, no matter what I do, I can't get rid of them.
>
> If I just sent the history file through sort|uniq, would I solve
> the problem or create a new mess?

I suspect new mess is the answer here. You want to not only remove the
duplicate entries but also preserve the order. And I don't know if the
whole lines are duplicate, or just two entries with the same hash.

Is just remaking history from the spool out of the question?

> Should I assume that the articles are also physically stored twice in
> the spool? If so, how do I get rid of the duplicates?

I'll pass, due to the "what's actually duplicated" issue above. If you
check some of the hashes in the warning messages and the token is not
the same, you do have dups stored, and should check the headers (use sm)
to see if both are valid. And if you delete using a cancel via ctlinnd,
I don't know which you delete, or if you get both.

Is expire running to completion?

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com)