INN Stable 20040602 error

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 3 07:40:04 UTC 2004

The Doctor <doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> writes:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:39:47PM -0400, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, The Doctor wrote:

>>> Article not accepted by server; not posted:
>>> Mailer exited with status 17152 -- Article might not have been mailed

>> Are you sure your "mta" setting in inn.conf is correct?
>>

> mta:                    "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -oem %s"

> sendmail 8.12.11 being used.

As the news user, try sending yourself mail with something like:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -oem address at example.com
From: address at example.com
Subject: testing

testing
<Ctrl-D>

pressing <Ctrl-D> to end the message.  That will pick up any problems with
sendmail accepting mail from the news user and rule that out as a
potential problem.

Also run echo $? afterwards, even if it appeared to work, to make sure of
the exit status.