Replacement for grephistory -h

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at gmx.de
Wed Jun 9 08:40:17 UTC 2004

Russ Allbery wrote...

> You can pass in -v to get the hash, although it isn't as convenient.

Indeed. Sorry, I didn't see this in the manpage.

> Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

Ugly things indeed. None of them for regular administration.
Checking for articles in a damaged history file.
Removing an article from the history database entirely, something you
might want to call a post-mortem 'remembertrash: false': Get hash, edit
history file, makedbz, start innd. Yes, I know what I'm doing.

> (I ask because I've been
> pondering making hashes entirely internal to the history mechanism, so
> that different history backends can use different hashes or none at all as
> appropriate to them.)

Which seems a good idea to me. But I don't see a general problem to have
a small standalone program for a certain history backend that would
still allow me to get the hash value and things like that. But don't
feel urged to do that, for the hash thing I can still hack such a
program using HashMessageID in lib/hash.c on my own.

	Christoph