kernel 2.6.3 + inn 2.4.1

Toon van der Pas toon at hout.vanvergehaald.nl
Sun Mar 7 15:08:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 02:27:37PM +0100, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. M=E4rz 2004 21:21 schrieb Toon van der Pas:
> > On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 05:34:39PM +0100, zpetar wrote:
> > > i start inn with
> > > su - news -c /usr/local/news/bin/inndstart
> > >
> > > :)
> > >
> > > and it work ... :) and just die ...
> > > no syslog no core...no input on screen ... nothing...
> > > not a thing :)
> > >
> > > s.o.s :)
> >
> > Start reading the documentation.
> > You will read that INN should be started by running the rc.news
> > script as root.=20
>
> Sure? As root?
>
> Quoted from ~/doc/INSTALL
>
> _ _ _
> Starting and Stopping the System
>
>     INN is started via the shell script rc.news.  This must be run as the
>     news user and not as root.  To start INN on system boot, you therefore
>     want to put something like:
>
>         su - news -c /usr/local/news/bin/rc.news

Aargh!
I typed this from memory and managed to get it wrong.
You are right. I just checked the init-script on my newsserver,
and it has this command:

	su news -c "/usr/local/news/bin/rc.news"

The inndstart object file is secured as below:

-r-sr-x---    1 root     news        24980 Jan 28 01:42 inndstart

So it starts setuid root, creates and binds the socket on the
priviledged port, and switches to the news userid before starting
innd.

Thanks for the correction.
Toon.