Moving an article

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 24 17:01:22 UTC 2004

Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote...
>

>>I have a server on which I find occasionally that I have to save an
>>article, online, for longer than the expected time.
>

> How do you identify such an article, do you think it can be done by some
> algorithms or just after reading it and saying "This one is interesting"?

In certain groups the desire is to keep threads intact. So when a
followup comes in the article(s) in the reference header, and the
followup itself, are saved in tradspool. When the most recent article in
the thread is N days old the entire thread is removed. Or at least such
is the desire.

> Do you want to keep them accessible via nntp?

Yes, that's the whole intent.

> If the latter answer is "no", archive could do everything for you.

Even that's not clear, since these are articles identified after
(sometimes long after) the original post. The possibility of a change of
  message-id was discussed internally, and discarded as leading to
eternal hacks.

>>One possible approach is to mark it in the cycbuff in some way so that
>>it will be moved or skipped over instead of reusing the space. This is a
>>small number of articles, so overhead is not an issue, at least not at
>>the moment.
>

> This would lead to fragmentation within a cycbuff. Not a good idea.

Not optimal, but certainly not a huge hit on space. These are infrequent
enough to allow for some tradeoff between ease of implementation and
losing a few bytes.

>>Thoughts?
>

> Very dirty trick: tradspool and chmod the articles in question to 444 so
> expire cannot remove them.

Doesn't matter, and the overall volume is too high to make tradspool
attractive. Overhead for the exceptions will not be an issue, overhead
for the general case will really hurt.

Thanks all for your thoughts, I will think on this for a bit. I'd like a
clean solution, since that might prove useful for other things as well.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com)