Measuring reader traffic

divya at avnika.com divya at avnika.com
Mon May 3 20:24:49 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Two questions that came to mind as I was setting up a news server:

(1) What's a good way to measure the reader traffic that a news
server is seeing? What other usage metrics should I track that would
help me understand how to manage the load?

(2) Are their architectures that people have used with inn for highly
available load balanced NNTP Services?

The issue I am trying to capture is with regards to capacity planning
and high availability. I want to understand at what point a server will
become unusable and if it does, how do I "fail-over" to another host
in such a way to not have to make all the users re-configure their
newsgroup settings.

Regards

Divya Sundaram