INN with hyperthreading/SMP

Mike Zanker mike-sender-6677e0 at zanker.org
Tue May 11 04:58:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

are there any known problems with running INN (2.4.1) on a box with a
hyperthreading CPU and SMP linux kernel?

I've built a box to replace my aging feeder with a P4 HT processor and
have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The SMP kernel was installed
by default (2.4.21 with RH mods). I built INN with perl and largefiles
so that I could have CNFS buffers >2GB.

The new box is currently receiving a feed from the feeder but innd is
growing at an alarming rate. After a few hours it was using about 350MB
RAM. On my reader box (same OS but single P3 processor) with the same
feed, innd never gets above about 50MB. Both boxes have 512MB RAM.

I've rebooted with a non-SMP kernel to see if it makes any difference
but wondered whether this was a known issue.

Thanks,

--
Mike Zanker
Northampton, UK