INN with hyperthreading/SMP

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Thu May 13 17:19:02 UTC 2004

> CNFS buffers do have an allocation bitmap at the start which is
> mmap()ed, but that mmap()ed block is relatively small.

Do the math.  That mmap()ed block needs one bit for
each 512 bytes of spool.

For TB sized spools, I recommend using a different block size.
8192 is a good start.

Also, pthreading cnfs.c does wonders for incoming performance.
Be aware that it requires a bunch of interlocks and fixes to
other parts of INN (because of INN always modifying the headers
that it is working on.)

TDX overview in INN is nearly impossible to pthread, but having
a background writer thread for overviews helps a lot too.